Saturday, July 5, 2008

gray matter and a dose of humility

Today, I'm reading Magic Tree House with Grant, who I happen to notice is looking at my head quite intently. When I ask him what he's doing, he replies,

"Oh, I'm just counting gray hairs on your head."

I race to the mirror.

"Where?"

"Well , just all over. Although, I guess it could be brain matter seeping out. Our brains are gray, you know."

I guess I've just got to hope for the latter. Maybe I'm so intelligent that my brain just can't be contained in my head.

Oh, and then there's Nate. Granted, he's lost his tact filter due to prolonged sleep deprivation, but this does mean he can't sugarcoat anything. He says what he means, if you catch my drift.

Yesterday:

"Hey babe, you're looking a lot thinner than you have with other pregnancies. Your stomach's bigger, though."

"Thanks. (?)

"But you do have some varicose veins."

Whoa. Am I letting myself go here? Leave it to my family to keep me humble, in pants, and in search of a good colorist...

3 comments:

Camilla Millar said...

Yikes!! Kids AND husband's say the darndest things. At least he knows that brains are, indeed gray-- probably a lot more info than other kids could divulge. I also like the imagery of brains seeping out. That's quite creative!

I love how Nate prefaces his remarks by including that you are looking 'thinner', BUT . . . (as if one comment could mask the possible offenses of the following one).

Mel said...

Don't worry I am sure that I have way more gray hair than you. Oh the things we have to deal with.

Rob and Kelli said...

Oh my heavens, if we all could look as gorgeous as you when we are pregnant. Jenny-you have nothing to worry about! You will always look amazing.
P.S. We all have gray's and veins and all that stuff!!!