Sunday, July 20, 2008

TGIF, and S, and S

During the week, we tease that we "catch a glimpse" of Nate as he passes in and out of night float. Typically, he'll get home around 8:30 or 9:00 am and will leave again at 4:15 to make it into work by 5. Most of this time is taken up by the unfortunate human necessity of sleep, although he functions on an impressively small quantity. (If I were to get by on what he gets by on, I would not be a very nice person.)

However, on Fridays, the kids know that dad will crash until noon, and then we're rockin' and rollin.' We've been trying to take advantage of our summer weekends of living on the East Coast... so many beautiful places, big cities, and historical sites to explore! Good thing we've got four more years here; I don't know how we'd pack it all in otherwise.

One weekend, we went camping on the Delaware River with our great friends the Michauds, the camping experts. While I didn't bring the camera on the river itself, here are a few pics.


Nate and Grant clearly happy to be at our campsite, all set up
a surprisingly good night's sleep in the tent, except for me of course..terrified of bears all night!

Jack the budding fisherman, but alas, didn't catch any. At least he's got a good supply of chocolate chip cookies on his face to stave off hunger during those long, biteless hours


Dingman's Falls: a beautiful, cool waterfall in what Pennsylvanians think are mountains


This past weekend, we journeyed the 5 hours up to Palmyra to pay a visit to the Church history sites. Our stake's YM/YW was attending the Hill Cumorah Pageant as part of youth conference, so we joined them for that. It was beautiful, albeit hot and humid, and the boys had a great time.

The Palmyra Temple (Jack was experiencing a temporary meltdown and refused to look at the camera)

Grant with Laura Ebeling, a YW in our ward who happens to be one of his favorite babysitters. We think she makes a pretty good Princess Leia.
At the pageant: a very late night, especially for Grant, who thrives on going to bed promptly at 8:30. Way to be tough, bud.


I love my boys. They are such good friends!


Outside the Sacred Grove. An amazing place! Grant said it made him feel happy and sleepy.
























10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip! You look amazing too by the way. I thought about going camping here, but the fact that our neighbors had a 400 lb. black bear in their backyard was enough nature for me. I will stick to short hikes and things that have wheels.

Dan and Hailey said...

Looks like so much fun! I wish we were there to go on some of these adventures with you. I can't believe how big the boys are getting-especially little Jack! P.S. You look great Jenny!

Todd said...

Seeing these pics makes me miss you guys. We're way excited to cha-to-the-izzel @ the Richards in a few.

Monica Hudson said...

OOOHHH!! I'm sooo bummed I missed it! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Matt and Becca said...

I'm glad you guys got to get away together and play! Looks like your camping trip was a little more "rustic" than ours (see our blog). Only 1 1/2 weeks til we get to see you!

Camilla Millar said...

Sounds like fun!!

I want to say-- I HATE NIGHT FLOAT!!!

There, I let it out. It looks like you are doing better than I am, though. . . .

Rob and Kelli said...

Jenny-Rob & I were just discussing how we wish we were in the same state because we both love to adveture and we could have such a fun time together...and we also want you as a piano teacher for Jacob!!! By the way, you look great!!!

HayesFamily said...

Jenny-
I am laughing my head off at your latest..err..Nate's latest comments. So funny! By the way, I can't believe it, you're having a girl! Is it possible? I bet you're so excited! Maybe I'll follow suite and get a girl next time...then again, maybe not! Love you guys!
-Heather

Elise said...

Where there is a party... There you will find the Richards... or is it the other way around??? I'm so glad that you are taking the half glass full approach with Nate's night float. Looks like some great summer adventures : ) And I ditto everyone else's 'you look great' comments. Call me when you have a break, or on one of those late night float nights : )

Amy F said...

Glad you have energy for adventures on your weekends "off!" Where do you get it?? Fun memories for your boys.