Friday, March 7, 2008

waxing sentimental


A wise woman reminded me this week how important it is to slow down and enjoy the moment: little ones won't be little for long. So often my gears are whirring like mad: get that load of laundry in, make that grocery list, call that student, pick up the sitter, plan YW, wash that floor, clean up those toys that have barely been out, get that dinner on, go, go, go. But this week, I've been trying a little harder to heed the profound advice.


I am a lucky girl. Today, a cozy, rainy Friday with no piano students to teach and no pressing commitments to occupy me, I got to experience the little world of my boys that sometimes passes by me as I zip around. I got to be an Allosaurus until my voice is hoarse. I had my hair brushed tenderly on several occasions by Jack. I got to give and receive backrubs, read about 25 library books, watch Sword in the Stone after dinner while eating ice cream (yes, this is the same day as my Cadbury post... I'm on a roll), and engage in animated discussions about knights, Star Wars, amphibians, egg-eating dinosaurs, and good Lamanites with my little people.


There are so many of you out there who I look up to as mothers. I only hope to learn from you and make more days like today, because I know that Grant and Jack won't always want me to be an audience and an active participant in their every moment forever.

7 comments:

Elise said...

Thanks for the post. I've actually been thinking about this same thing. I hope we can soak up every precious moment! Missing you! E

Rob and Kelli said...

Jenny...it was so fun to hear from you. I love being connected through the blog-it feels like we just picked up where we left off. What adorable kids you have-and what a great mom they have!!!

Heather said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I need to try really hard to enjoy my kids especially Garrett he is already 6 months and where has the time gone!!! You are such a cute mom!!

Lisa said...

Definitely something I need to remember. I hate that kids grow up so fast! You are such a good mom, btw!

Mel said...

You are a wonderful mom. I think there are many of us that are looking up to you as a mother. I love how you make special time with each child. They love you so much. Thanks for reminding me to slow down and enjoy my Hailey Bug.

Kelly said...

hey jenny,
I can't believe I found your blog. So many changes since high school and the family ward. Hope you parents are well. You should check out my blog. I am linked to Ashley's if you haven't already been reading hers.
Kelly
PS. Your children are so beautiful!:)

Monica Hudson said...

thank you for passing on those words of wisdom. we hear them often, but how often do we really heed them and slow down on the "to-do" list and take in the moments that connect us. i don't remember all the thing we had to get done in my childhood...i remember those moments that are seemingly unimportant, but have impacted my life - the games, the lessons that come from everyday moments, and the simple pleasures of being together. You are ahead of the game figuring this out now - remember it and know that so many of us look up to you as a mom - you're a great one! Thank you for this post...and don't worry about the Cadbury eggs, they just give us a better "hugability" factor! At least that's what I'm telling myself - I have a serious weakness for the cream filled ones! Love you (sorry for the long comment!) xoxo