Monday, March 31, 2008

a little sojourn down south

One of the handful of good things about Nate's residency (I'll list the not-so-good sometime when I need sympathy) is his four weeks off every year. I've mentioned in an earlier post that I have dubbed them the "keep-me-sane weeks," which is exactly what they are.

This past one was spent on a meandering, spontaneous vacation through Virginia and down into Charlotte, North Carolina to see our great friends, Harland and Heather Hayes. Although we spent close to 24 hours in the car, it was so, so great to just be together as a family. We flew by the seat of our pants: no real set itinerary (right down to calling motel after motel in Roanoke to see if anyone had availability! Not exactly my uptight, control-freak style, but very refreshing...) no commitments, no obligations. It was bliss. Here's a few pics of our adventures.
good buddies: Grant and Cannon
the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va (a detour for Nate the history buff)


inside the Luray Caverns (amazing....)

our freezing hike in the leafless Shenandoah National Park (we'll be back in the fall!)


we couldn't resist the 1960's roadside feature: Dinosaur Land!




Jack conjuring up a scared face for that frightening papier-mache creature

if that's not authentic, I'll eat my foot

good times.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Jenny how fun!!! I know what you mean by the "keep-me-sane weeks"...
That is why Nate & I are going to Hawaii for a week!! One month to go Yeah!!

Cute pictures!! :)

Matt and Becca said...

Guys, that looks so fun! I'm glad you got to get away together for some sanity and play. I can't believe how big the boys are getting. Jenny, you look drop-dead gorgeous as always. And Nate, well, what can I say? We miss you!

Mel said...

What a cute family!!! We just love your little family so much. I am glad that you guys had such a good time; you SO deserved it.

Julie said...

Looks like fun! Will any of the vacation weeks bring you to Utah?

Monica Hudson said...

What fun! I love Dino-land - that's an awesome stop! I'm all for random things like that - they make life interesting and create the best memories! You guys are great - I'm glad you had another "sane-week" - love you to pieces!

Rob and Kelli said...

Hey guys-it's fun to see pics from your adventure. Looks like you had a great time. You have a very cute family. Too bad we don't live closer...our boys would get along great!!!

Elise said...

Yay for vacation weeks! Nate is so lucky to get 4 : ) We need to plan one to Chicago... We love and miss you guys mucho too!

I'll call ya!
E

Camilla Millar said...

Looks like fun! I am jealous.