Sunday, September 28, 2008

Obi Wan Kenobi, Plumbing Fun, and Hornbills


A few of you may remember a post I wrote a few months ago, expressing my frustration at the lack of potty training progress. Well, hats off to Jack Richards and his mom, because it finally came together in the last month. The clincher? Star Wars action figures did the trick. It hurt the budget a tad, but each time Jack did a #2 on the toilet, we went to Target and bought him a "guy," until his collection included about 10 characters. Sweet.


Well, sweet until this week, when Obi-Wan went tumbling into the toilet as Jack flushed. For a few days, the toilet was a little sluggish, but all was well, and I thought we had wiped our hands of the problem. Not so. Tuesday night, it hit the fan. Every water-producing edifice in our home, when engaged, caused the toilet to explode with a watery vomit of sewage and food waste. Not just a little... this was major, major, major. Of course, Nate was still at work and I had all the YW in my house, making dinner for one of our leaders who just had a baby. Grant was my little helper, dashing up and down for "more towels! No, LOTS more towels!"


The next day, after RotoRooter finished his dirty little 9 hours of work and cruelly left us $900 poorer, Nate asked, "Now, why is it that we potty trained Jack? Just think of how many diapers we could have bought for $900!" The irony.


On a lighter note; while we're still on the subject of fecal waste, Grant said pleasantly this evening: "Mom, aren't you glad you're not a hornbill?" "Well, why yes, I'm glad I'm not a hornbill, Grant. Why do you ask, though?" "Because hornbills poop on their babies. ONLY on their babies." Grant's fascination with animal facts sure comes in handy sometimes. At least I'm not a hornbill.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Eww! Ouch! Sorry to hear about all of it -- except the part about you not being a hornbill.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, so sorry about that bill! Keely's Little Mermaid figurine got flushed shortly after she was potty trained. After that she never took a toy with her on the toilet again!

Camilla Millar said...

One of these days I'll have to tell you about our potty-training fiasco which also landed us a big bill (not that big, I guess things are cheaper here).

I totally get the flood thing, though. HOrrible, horrible, horrible. We've had 6 1/2 in the last 5 years we've been here. . . .nothing is worse than dealing with a flood with no husband. . . .I AM SO SORRY!

J.ME said...

I'm sorry to hear about the toilet trouble...but you had me laughing through this whole post. What happened to the good old days when we could say, "call the landlord"?
I guess the only thing I can say is, better luck next time!

Elise said...

Oh Jenny, the LUCK! What the... I think you guys deserve a good 3.5 years of GOOD KARMA : ) So, I can't help with the flood bill, but I can tell you I've been working on some really cute stuff for baby Caroline... yipee. Can't wait!

Kate said...

oh jenny... i hate to laugh at this becuase it's absolutely terrible! we sure love that jack boy :) i hope preschool goes well in the morning!

xoxo

Rosie said...

Jenny and Nate...We LOVE you guys!