Monday, September 8, 2008

1st Days

Grant studying up before he headed out the door on the first day

giving me the "thumbs up" as he boarded the bus

totally pumped and ready to go in


Jack and his best, best bud Jack Dudley: the inseparable two Jacks


With Grant in a five-day pre-K last year, I didn't anticipate that kindergarten would be too big of a deal. But two things got me: the bus, and the paperwork. Watching Grant climb aboard that big bus, I honestly got a lump in my throat. It wasn't the "I wish he was still at home with me" lump, but more of the "Please world, be good to him. He's too sweet to have anything scary or unpredictable or overwhelming happen to him." Me and all the other parents on the block stood and hungrily watched the bus pull away, not unlike the paparazzi must do to celebrities, waving and snapping pictures. My little celebrity, Grant. Watch out, Chestnutwold Elementary... Grant Richards has arrived! And if anyone isn't nice to him, I'll hunt them down...
As for the second factor of some consternation, I don't think I'm a mature enough adult to be able to handle all of the logistical details that I am responsible for. Book orders, permission slips, phone trees, volunteer schedules, PTO opportunities, bake sales, insurance forms for WHILE they're in school.... for the love! I thought turning 30 and having a third child would help me grow up, but apparently not. I'm going to have to suck it up now.

And then there's Mr. Jack. When Grant started preschool, it was a sweet and careful beginning, which fed my mom-ego quite nicely: "He needs me!" He let me stay with him for the first 15 minutes, held my hand, kissed me goodbye, and quietly reassured me that he'd be OK. Which in turn, quietly reassured me that I'd be ok, too. Not Jack. He marched in like nobody's business: "Hello! I'm Jack Richards! Are you my teacher?" When I asked if he was ready for me to go, he looked at me like I was crazy: "Mom, go home! I'm at SCHOOL!" Thankfully, he was equally boisterous when I picked him up, the last mom to arrive (dangit!!)! I'm truly so proud of him.
There is an indescribably powerful love that a mother possesses for her children, and I felt it overwhelmingly this week. And it was complete and utter joy today as I watched Grant race into Jack's embrace after deboarding the bus, exclaiming, "Jack, buddy-- how did your first day go?" Oh, I love my dudes.

8 comments:

Camilla Millar said...

Well said.

And might I add: Chestnutwold Elementary? I think I am going to die of envy--that is the cutest name for an elementary school I think I've ever heard!

Molly said...

Your boys are just too sweet. I miss them! Enjoy Spencer this weekend--wish I were coming. I will be here...home. alone. DROWNING in what is now, apparently, my new life. SIGH. I don't think I can keep up this pace for much longer!! Only 17 more years to go!!! haha

Monica Hudson said...

That is such a sweet post - I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Amy F said...

So fun... they grow up too fast. It is funny... we have the same book Grant is holding in that picture. He seriously looks like a teenager sitting in that chair with they way his legs are so tall.

They are so sweet, and I hope the world is good to them, too.

Matt and Becca said...

Jenny, I love your dudes so much! Your post made me get a lump in my throat as I think of sweet Grant going to school (and kicking the trash out of the other kids with all the stuff he already knows) and cool Jack with his cute voice and personality. I can't believe they're old enough to be doing that! I hope you enjoy your mornings of freedom... Love you guys!

Lindsay Parker said...

I have a lump in my throat reading this post. How sweet your little boys are and how sweet of a mom you are! they truly are so lucky to have a mom like you that cares so much and would hunt any person down who was mean to them I think I would and will do the same. I cant imagine the first day I have to send my first off to school I think I will loose it. of course I dont have any yet but I can just picture it. Pretty soon you will have a sweet girl to keep you company at home how exciting! I cant believe how big Jack is I hope I can come visit Hay soon in Philly and of course stop by for a visit!

Rosie said...

Call me silly but I got a lump myself after your apt description of life.

Rob and Kelli said...

Oh your boys are so sweet!!! What precious memories those will be. Way to be a strong, supportive mama! Their little sister is going to have 2 fabulous brothers who I think might love her just a little bit. Good job Grant & Jack!