Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The "My Teacher is a Real Person" phenomenon



Pardon another entry about the Grantster, folks, but this one's funny...

Grant's been sick this week, but today he took a turn for the better and was teasing Jack, so I knew we were on the road to recovery. I thought I'd venture out big-time and run into the grocery store with the boys to get some milk and tortillas. (Turns out, I was halfway through making enchiladas when I realized that tortillas are kind of an essential ingredient...) I said, "Grant, just throw on your fleece and your dinosaur boots; it's okay if you're in your pajamas." He complied without any protests initially, but as we pulled into the parking lot, he became slightly anxious. "Mom, but people are going to think I look weird." "No, sweets, you just look like a cool army guy." But he insisted on laying on the floor of the backseat so the old couple unloading groceries into their car wouldn't see him.

We finally made it into the store, and he went in like a secret agent on a stealth mission, clearly hoping he was invisible to the general public. But alas, it was not to be. As we rounded the corner into the dairy aisle, we heard the following:

"Grant Richards! At the grocery store in your pajamas, after missing school this week? What a surprise!"

Grant literally froze in his tracks. I could see the color draining from his face, as he turned to meet....

his Teacher.

I tried so, so hard to keep a straight face. I carried on a pleasant little conversation, while Grant fought a multitude of emotions. I'll bet this was one of the most emotionally charged moments of his young life. He courageously managed to squeak out a farewell, and off we went, but as we left the store, it wasn't "How embarrasing!" or "I can't believe she saw me in my pajamas!" Oh no, the final thought was

"Mom, Mrs. DePaul goes to the GROCERY STORE?"

Grant, we love you. (Of course, didn't we all wonder that as kids?)

8 comments:

Mel said...

The things kids say and think. It is amazing to see how they grow and develop. Grant is such a cute little guy. I just keep remembering how he fixed everyone some chocolate milk and even put it in a sippy cup for Hailey. You guys have some cute kids. Love you!

Matt and Becca said...

We miss Granter and big Jack! Keep the hilarious stories coming...they make our days, even though it kills us that you're so far away for so much longer! We love you guys!

Lisa said...

LOL! We ran into Keely's Sunday School teachers at the mall once and she was at a complete loss, so shocked she wouldn't even talk to them. When they walked away she was like, "mom, what are they doing here?!"

Claudia Hong said...

Granter is growing up to be such a sweet and lovable boy! I wish I was closer to you guys, 'cuz I could use some laughter spurred on by your cute boys!

Heather said...

Jenny, he is so stinkin cute! Marlee could look like "Punky Brewster" going out in public but, Cayden on the other hand won't be caught dead in p.j.'s either!
Out of all people..... His Teacher!

Hope he feels better.. We have all been sick at my house too!! :(

Miss You Guys!

Kate said...

This is just lovely, and warms my heart a bit. Amazing how these little chillen's perceive the world. I totally remember running into my Kindergarten Teacher at McDonalds and being completely in awe.

ps i have to tell you what grant said in primary today. super super cute.

pps my jack's been begging to play with your jack again. let's plan something soon!

Rosie said...

Just imagine being on the other side of the story...a teacher in your pajamas buying a pregnancy test at the grocery store. After the state of embarrassment from that episode, I try to get in a ready state for my outings. Love you guys!!

Monica Hudson said...

LOVE IT!! I remember my first such realization - it was when I ran into my art teacher at a fancy function and she was decked out in her strapless sequined gown and getting plastered! Quite the experience! Oh, stay innocent, Grant...it's bliss! Love you guys to pieces!