Saturday, February 16, 2008

David McCullough for President




Now that Romney's out, I am exploring my options. I may be moving to Canada, folks. We'll wait and see. In the meantime, I think I've found a pretty good candidate of my own: Mr. David McCullough, the renowned historian and author. I had the opportunity last week to perform at a fundraising function at the New York Historical Society in Manhattan, where he was the speaker. He is such a cool guy! Hearing him speak about our country's history and founders made me feel so proud to be an American, as cliche as that sounds. He spoke of the desperate need to educate young people in the foundations of our country. He is promoting an organization called The Constitutional Sources Project, where all of the Founding Fathers' letters and documents can be viewed, for free, online. This is actually a really great idea. Check it out if you're interested: http://www.consource.org/. Living in Philadelphia has lit a fire for me and Nate: we want our boys to appreciate and love our country and recognize the sacrifices for our freedom. What better place to live and relive American History, and how awesome would it be to be able to pull up any and every letter that Washington, Adams, or Jefferson wrote, right on our computer, for free? Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, any McCullough fans out there will be interested to know that he and Tom Hanks co-produced a mini-series coming out, based on his John Adams book. Mr. McCullough said he's never been so excited about anything! We'll be tuning in for sure, and I think I may consider this true patriot a great write-in on my ballot come November...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love his books! That's amazing that you got to perform for that (but we all know you are amazing on the piano too). I will keep my eyes out for the on TV for sure!

Heather said...

Great idea to move to Canada... we would only be about a 5 hour drive from one another ;-){wink, wink}
What a wonderful talent you have.
That is so great that you can travel & perform at such awesome things!
I know what you mean about
"appriciate" our country. Ever since Nate did the "Army" for residency.. I have a whole new look on things b/c I see what these troops have't to go through & leave their families for 18 months or longer!
I'm dredding the day when it will be Nate's turn! [he is non- deployable until after residency] thank heavens!!
Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be forever long.............. :)

Lisa said...

You got to go to NYC again?! He sounds great! I am always so bugged that most schools don't do the pledge of allegiance anymore...don't get me started!

archivesinfo said...

Love the opening photo on your blog. While browsing it, the McCullough heading caught my eye. I'd vote for him...I'd also vote for Doris Kearns Goodwin. Maybe we can get them on the same ticket?

Camilla Millar said...

I love his book, John Adams, and I have the miniseries on my calendar!