Tuesday, January 29, 2008

{one of many} Life Lessons from Granter


Llanerch Presbyterian Preschool in Havertown, PA is doing something right. Not only do they incorporate math, science, reading, and Christmas (yes, you read that right) into the curriculum, they now have introduced my young son to the world of healthy eating. Serious, disciplined, healthy eating, unlike anything Grant's mom has ever attempted.

I'm kind of a processed-food junkie. I read recently that one should stick to the outside aisles of the grocery store for the freshest, healthiest options. I recognized the validity of that statement, with some acknowledgement of guilt, as I hunkered down in the dead center of the store, analyzing price differences between Kraft and generic brands of macaroni and cheese. I'm a real Froot Loops kind of gal, if you catch my drift. So when Grant came home from school the other day and started cleaning out the cupboards and announcing all the unhealthy items contained within, I was nothing short of astonished. What? No more Cinnamon Toast Crunch for breakfast? The Twinkies have got to go, too? C'mon, bud...
This morning, Grant declared that he would like a toasted bagel with butter but no jam (apparently, jam has too much sugar), a glass of orange juice, and a glass of milk, for calcium. I finally talked him into Cheerios, because as usual, we were short on time. "Okay, mom, but you really can't put any sugar on them." Needless to say, I ate my Frosted Flakes a little sheepishly. Apparently this afternoon he was letting his buddy's mom know that the snack she was serving wasn't super healthy, either.

Do any nutritionists out there need a little assistant? He is super cute, after all. Actually, maybe I'm the one who should start heeding his advice...

8 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my heck he is so cute! Maybe we need to move your way and Marlee could go to pre-school with Grant! She sure could use some of their advice!! :) I know what you mean on the fruit loops...

Heather said...

p.s. I mean froot loops :)

Molly said...

oh granter. how we miss you. you are such a character. in your honor we will scratch Cheetos and Nesquick from the lunch menu for today. to his credit, cort does LOVE carrots dipped in Lite Ranch and always says to me when I list his feeding options: "When there's a healthy choice and a healthier choice, I want the healthier choice." hilarious. where do they get this stuff??? miss you guys.

Lisa said...

That's funny! Could he come clean out my shelves??

Anonymous said...

Way too cute!! I'm with you, froot loops are yummy, but I am trying to do better. I do sneak in the ice cream every now and then.

-Nicole

Bradbury Bunch said...

Too funnyT As I'm reading this, in my hand is a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles! (I have one everyday!)Please don't tell Grant!! :) What a super example he is!!

Mel said...

What a cute little guy that you have. I just let Hailey eat a brownie right before dinner; what kind of mom am I? Maybe we should have him teach one of the playgroups about healthy snacks!

Elise said...

oh Granters... We were just talking about him! Sam misses him! Love the blog (especially the new design) especially those priceless family pics!!!! Oh we miss you!!!