Monday, October 5, 2009

#3: Our Twist on Time-Out


No, no, it's not what you think. We don't usually throw our kids in dumpsters as a form of discipline. Rather, we (er, I) throw our only set of car keys in dumpsters as a form of masochistic entertainment. We were at the Jersey shore, celebrating Nate's fantastic finish in a 75-mile bike race, and were about to go enjoy the beach when, OOPS!, I accidentally dropped the keys in the dumpster. Way, way down in the dumpster. Past all the garbage bags and into the slewy, thick swamp of sewage and other unknown waste. Aarrgghhh!!!!

What to do????

Grant stepped up galantly as the man of the hour. Willingly, he let his dad hold him by the ankles and dangle him down into the dumpster, where he fished around in several unsuccessful attempts before finally, heroically, locating the keys. His biggest dilemma after the event was not how to get his arms clean, but how to accurately and vividly describe the event in the prescribed two sentences he is allowed for "sharing" in his 1st grade Monday morning routine.

(Unfortunately, I didn't think to grab the camera until Nate was pulling him out for the final time. It was much more poignant when Grant's legs were straight up out of the dumpster and Nate was holding him by the ankles. Also, it's interesting to note that our other two children were seemingly unimpressed by the whole event.)


7 comments:

Mel said...

75 Miles, WHAT?! Crazy! The key situation sounds like something that would happen to us.

Natalie said...

At least you got them back...I flushed my keys down the toilet. Nope- they aren't coming back.

Amy F said...

Hilarious. Grant is my hero. I'll fly him out to have him do that for me the next time I have such an emergency...

Julie said...

A replacement key for our van was $75.00. I hope you gave grant a reward. Did you guys do the water slide in the background? That looks fun.

Heather said...

wow. tell nate congrats... i think i would have made mile marker 6 & said forget it! ;)
don't feel bad i have actually done the same thing.. but, with my phone. i should have just left it but cayden was determined!! :)
glad you found them!!!

JoAnna said...

Oh my gosh you guys are awesome! I can't wait to be neighbors!!!

Camilla Millar said...

Very impressive work Grant.

Now Jenny, you left out one very important detail. . .How in the heck do you 'accidentally' drop your keys in a dumpster? I'm picturing many scenarios, but can't decide on which: did you throw an errant 'pass' in a game of catch my keys?, did you trip and loose control of your bag which flew up in the air and spewed said keys? Please. Let me out of my misery. I must know how the deed was done.