Sunday, May 31, 2009

I {heart} OBX

Well, it's the end of May.  Time flies!  We enjoyed this month immensely... of Nate's four weeks off this year, two of them were back to back this month.  The last time he had a week off, it was the first of December and we were fumbling around in the twilight zone of life with a 2-week-old baby.

This time, we milked it for all it's worth.  We headed out right away: back down to Outer Banks, NC, in an effort to fulfill our self-proclaimed mandate that we will go there every year!  It's become one of our favorite places.  So condusive to kicking back, relaxing, and enjoying each other's company immensely.  We got there in the evening of Mother's Day.  What a gift it was to walk on the beach in the sunset with my peeps!  Grant said:  "Isn't this the best Mother's Day ever, Mom?"  And I had to agree.

I've discovered a remarkable equation:  Nate +  sleep= lots and lots of good humor!  Wow... I'd almost forgotten how funny he is in the midst of all that workin' he does!  Babe, it's been nice to have you back, and this is only whetting my voracious appetite for the research year that's soon to begin.... hallelujah!

Here's the boys, eager to start their early morning seashell/nature creature hunt. They came back with some dried-up puffer fish, of all things! 
We also did a lot of this:

and lots of this:
some of this (the ocean was a tad on the cold side):
an enormous amount of this:
and this:
and even a little of this!

As evidenced, it was good times.


6 comments:

Monica Hudson said...

How fun to have a little R&R and real time with the hubby! Looks like you made good use of it! Miss you guys! xoxo

Heather said...

that looks so fun. great pictures!
your kids are growing up way to fast.. so adorable though.

hope all is well Jenny.

~H

Camilla Millar said...

I know I am a hormonal ball of pregnancy right now, but I cried when I saw your pictures cause it looked so fun. Andy spent his last week of vacation tearing up our backyard to make it more fun for the kids-- now he is back at the hospital and the yard is still a mess. . . . . We need to take a page out of the Richard's book of life and take it easy.

Rob and Kelli said...

Jenny-I'd be making that a tradition too. What a fun time you must have had. I'm so glad you could have Nate for a little while. There is nothing better than family time! I love the picutres-your kids are so adorable!!!

PS Hope the teething settles down for you. Just when you think you've got it down with the sleeping-it always changes, doesn't it!

jamkmb said...

Why does Nate have a towel over himself??? :)

Nate said...

the towel is to hide my chiseled abs and pecs so that nobody lusts after me or is embarrassed...just thinking of you guys.